Maybe it won’t be the most useful post for the daily implementation of Opalis & Self Service Portal, but one small incident made my life hard…
After successful integration between Opalis & Self Service Portal, it was time to add some policies to the process of creating a Virtual Machine… trying query the policies from the Self Service Portal ended with one big red Error :
could not retrieve any policies; for more information, please see vmmsspservice log. This request operation sent to net.tcp://hostname:8000/ did not receive a reply within the configured timeout (00:01:00). The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout. This may be because the service is still processing the operation or because the service was unable to send a reply message. Please consider increasing the operation timeout (by casting the channel/proxy to IContextChannel and setting the OperationTimeout property) and ensure that the service is able to connect to the client.
yay ! sounds great, so.. I’ve started looking for the timeout root cause, in my journey I’ve found few related configurations which can be useful for this integration:
Self Service Portal Side:
All the configuration could be found in the web.config file, under netTcpBinding you will found sendTimeout parameter (also, you’ll find other parameters like closeTimeout, openTimeout, receiveTimeout, but playing with them killed my SSP’s reply)
Database timeout: Locate the file %JBOSS_HOME%\server\default\deploy\opalis-ds.xml, there you can locate the idle-timeout-minutes parameter which control the timeout between the Opalis and it’s DB.
Web Service timeout: %JBOSS_HOME%\server\default\deploy\OpConsoleApp-1.0.ear\OpConsoleServer-1.0.jar\settings.properties, there you can change the web service configuration, the relevant parameter is sessionTimeoutTime
Another timeout option I would take in mind related to the policies running by the Self Service Portal, after successful query of policies, set the policies in the Self Service Portal to time out after long time ( Settings –> Virtual Machine Actions –> Action XML (edit) –> Edit the policies, set the Time-Out to : xxxxx secondes )
To be fair… in the end I’ve found the problem, my timeout cause was an old Domain Controller record in DNS which made my Opalis’s web service trying LDAP the Old & Doesn’t exists Domain Controller.